The Embassy is to move to the site of the Royal MInt which will provide more space and a higher level of security than is possible at their current embassy in Portland Place.
West elevation with offices (left), main embassy building (centre), cultural exchange building (right) and residential block (behind).
Credit: David Chipperfield Architects
The Royal Mint was founded in London in 886 AD and in 1279 a single mint was formed within the Tower of London. A new mint was built at Tower Hill and was fully operational by 1812. It was equipped with the latest steam‐powered machinery to increase production capacity.
As preparations were made to introduce decimal currency in the 1960s, it was decided to move The Royal Mint out of London since a larger site was required to cope with the production of the new coins as well as the increased demand for coinage from international markets.
The Royal Mint in Llantrisant, South Wales was opened by Her Majesty The Queen in December 1968 and following decimalisation in 1971, all UK coin production moved from London to Wales, with the last coin being struck at Tower Hill in 1975. (Source: History of the Royal Mint)
Royal Mint Tower Hill 1830