This newly constructed building in Crutched Friars was designed by Hopkins Architects and replaces the former Roman Wall House and Emperor House.
Urbanest received planning permission from the City of London for this mixed-use building which provides student accommodation for King’s College London.
The accommodation is for use by postgraduate students only.
The site was formerly occupied by the 1905 Roman Wall House building and Emperor House on Vine Street. It was in 1905 that a surviving, 30 metre section of the Roman wall was discovered on the site.
The wall, built by the Romans at the end of the 2nd century, encircled the Roman city of Londinium.
It could be viewed from a yard off Vine Street. It was located in the basement of the building and in the early 2000s the basement was used by Departure Bar and subsequently Club 2AD. The section of Roman wall was visible behind glass.
For more information, see The Commuter Consultant
Investigation History: The section of the Wall at Crutched Friars was first excavated in 1905 during the construction of Roman Wall House when a 12.2m stretch of the western face of the Wall was revealed, 2.1m thick, 2.4 - 2.7m high and with a base c2.6m below ground level.
It was reported in the Daily Graphic of 9 May 1905 and a 6.5m long section was preserved in the lower ground floor of the new building with a basement constructed beneath.
Additional supporting brick piers were added beneath the Wall, probably necessitated by vibration from bombing during the Second World War.
The eastern face of this section of the Wall was not exposed until the redevelopment of 8-10 Crosswall and 6 Vine Street to create Emperor House in 1979-80. A total length of c22.5m was recorded with a 10m stretch surviving 3m in height.
See Historic England for more information.
In the new building, completed in 2021, there is expected to be an exhibition space, open to visitors, where the old Roman wall can be viewed. See MOLA for further information.