Members of the Baltic Exchange in St Mary Axe are involved in a significant proportion of the world’s ship chartering, sale and purchase business.
They are also the world’s leading source of independent maritime market data. See Who We Are for more information.
Like Lloyd’s of London, the 18th century roots of the Baltic Exchange can be traced back to a coffee house in Threadneedle Street, EC2.
Extract from The Morning Post, 24 May 1744
"This is to give NOTICE that the House late the Virginia and Maryland Coffee-House in Threadneedle Street, near the Royal Exhange, is now open'd by the Name of the Virginnia and Baltick Coffee-House, where all Foreign and Domestick News are taken in; and all Letters or Parcels, directed to Merchants or Captains in the Virginia or Baltick Trade will be carefully deliver'd according as directed..."
They moved to larger premises, the Antwerp Coffee House, also in Threadneedle Street in 1810 and later to the former South Sea House in St Mary Axe.
A merger with the London Shipping Exchange, in 1900 meant they needed more space and they moved to a new building also located on St Mary Axe.
In April 1992 an IRA bomb exploded killing three people and seriously damaging the Baltic Exchange. Their building had to be demolished and the site is now occupied by the Gherkin at 30 St Mary Axe.
The Baltic Exchange had to temporarily relocate before moving into their current home at 38 St Mary Axe. See Baltic Exchange and its history for more information.