Lloyd’s Register is located at 70 Fenchurch Street on the corner of Lloyd’s Avenue.
It was founded in 1760 at the same coffee house as Lloyd’s of London, Edward Lloyd’s Coffee House in Lombard Street.
The Society for the Register of Shipping was set up to give merchants and underwriters recorded information on the quality of their vessels.
Today, Lloyd’s Register is a global business that continues to provide a classification service as well as a range of other professional services to the maritime industry. See About Us and A brief history for more information.
Lloyd’s Register decided to have its own building in 1897 on a site in Fenchurch Street. At the time the area had a lot of warehousing and wasn’t the most desirable of City sites. The resulting Arts and Crafts style building by architect Thomas Collcutt helped transform the status of Fenchurch Street.
Through the 20th century Lloyd’s Register acquired six adjacent office blocks and commissioned the Richard Rogers Partnership to design them a new building that replaces the office blocks but has minimum impact on the Collcutt building.