This was the former churchyard of St Gabriel’s, Fenchurch Street, and is now a peaceful spot with trees, plants and seating. The church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London and was never rebuilt.
It is also the site of The Gilt of Cain sculpture which commemorates the abolition of the Transatlantic slave trade in 1807. The sculpture is by Michael Vissochi and there is a plaque with an accompanying poem by Lemn Sissay. It was unveiled in 2008 by Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
Two years later the London Centre for Spiritual Direction, based at St Edmund King and Martyr in nearby Lombard Street unveiled the Fen Court Labyrinth which inspired the Centre’s design for their new logo.