The Aldgate School is located on the west side of Aldgate Square. It is the only state school in the City of London and is a primary school.
It also has the City Child and Family Centre which provides full and part time day care for children between the age of 12 weeks to 5 years.
The red brick school building was built in 1908 during the reign of Edward V11 and stands on the site of the former Roman Wall. Beneath the playground is the site of the former Holy Trinity Priory founded by Queen Matilda in 1108.
On the front of the building are two figures of charity children.
Until September 2020 the school was known as the Sir John Cass school.
John Cass founded the school in 1710, the same year he became Alderman of Portsoken Ward and two years before he was knighted.
John Cass had close connections with the transatlantic slave trade through his involvement with the Royal African Company.
See Aldgate School for more information about the school and its history.
See the Masks made by pupils of Aldgate School.