Formerly the headquarters of the Port of London Authority (PLA) this Grade II listed building is imposing and has a suitably monumental entrance with six great Corinthian columns.
On the tower a bearded, nude Father Thames stands on an anchor, his outstretched arm pointing out to sea. The PLA moved out in 1971 and its base is now in Gravesend.
The building was re‐developed by the China based Reignwood Group and was completed in 2016 to form a luxury Four Seasons hotel.
The Port of London Authority was established in 1908 to manage the Port of London with responsibility for control of the river Thames from Nore to Teddington.
An impressive headquarters building was needed so a competition to find a suitable design was launched by the Times newspaper in 1911.
The winning architect was Edwin Cooper who also designed St Marylebone Town Hall, the old Lloyd’s building in Leadenhall Street and the Guildhall in Hull.
Work on the PLA building began in 1912 but was interrupted when war broke out in 1914. The building was finally opened by British Prime Minister Lloyd George in 1922.
The Portland stone exterior supports sculpted stone figures representing Exportation, Produce, Commerce and Navigation. The sculptors were Albert Hodge and Charles Doman. Cast iron lampstands support double and triple lamps.
An aerial view of 10 Trinity Square (stone‐faced building looking over Trinity Gardens) and the Tower of London with parts of EC3 including 1 Pepys Street (a block of 90 apartments) beside the Double Tree Hotel and opposite the Novotel London Tower Bridge. The Citizen M Hotel is the building to the right facing Trinity Gardens.